The concept of rights and roles in ZEuS
From ZEuS-Wiki english
Introduction and background
ZEuS can be accessed by many different users, who come from a wide variety of backgrounds and have different information needs and interests, for example:
- Visitors and applicants would like to get to know the range of courses offered with the course catalogue.
- Application and admissions officers have to check the confidential applicant data and admit or reject persons for study.
- Persons working at the Student Service Centre (SSZ) need access to the internal student data in order to take leave of absence, make adjustments to personal data or make changes to the course of study.
- Curriculum planners primarily do not need access to personal data, but rather information on courses, lecturers, times and access to rooms, for example.
A large part of the data is also confidential and protected. For this reason there is a differentiated rights-role concept in ZEuS, for which you will find more detailed information in this chapter.
Roles in detail
In ZEuS, access to various topics and data is organised in roles according to the following aspects:
- Individual rights are combined in roles.
- A role describes a homogeneous user group or a field of activity, e.g. Administrator/-in, Student/-in or Arbeitgeber/-in.
- In ZEuS, one person can be assigned different roles if his or her tasks require it.
Mr. Müller is a Director of the Departmental Administration and therefore has the role of course management for the coordination of teaching in the faculty. In addition, he gives courses himself and has the role of teacher. → Depending on which tasks Mr. Müller currently wishes to carry out in ZEuS, he can change roles and then have access to more or less functions in the system. Accordingly, the menu structure with the available menu items is different, see section Different menu structure of the roles.
- Roles are assigned to organizational units, that is:
- Mr Müller is Director of the Departmental Administration in the Department of Literature. In the role of Lehr- und Prüfungsplanung, he can therefore only process courses that are planned in this department. He does not have access to events planned in other departments.
Depending on the role the user has just selected, different menu items and editing options are available.
Change of role and standard role
If you are assigned several roles, you can switch between them. Depending on the tasks you are currently performing, you may need a different role that has the rights for the corresponding function. You can find out more details in the Change of role article.
If you have more than one role, you can set the role in which you want to work after logging in to ZEuS as the default role. You can find out all the necessary steps in the Define your standard role article.
Access rights in the organizational structure